Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Little Bit of Everything


Here’s the second part of my giant blog! 

            Last Thursday, I was able to go to a Symphony with Nonno at Teatro Lirico di Cagliari, which is a beautiful concert hall in Cagliari.  Ale and Nonno have season tickets to the Symphony, but Ale couldn’t go that day so I got to go in his place!  The music was great, and Nonno was so friendly.  He told me that the concert hall also holds ballets and operas, and that the opera Carmen will show soon.  I hope I get to go, because I have never been to an opera before.  And how amazing would it be to have seen my first opera in Italy!?

On Halloween, I visited my friend Natalie.  I met her host family, and I joined them for a lunch of Pasta alla Carbonara, a pasta dish that I have had on a few occasions with eggs, cheese, and pancetta or bacon.  Later, I helped Ale make a mad scientist costume for himself.  In our bedroom, we splattered ketchup on a white doctor coat to make it look bloody and dried it with a hair dryer.  I think even now our bedroom smells of ketchup.  Silvia splattered some nail polish on a surgical mask.  It turned out excellent!

            The next day (We had a mini fall vacation of Sunday-Wednesday), I was going to meet Christine, Matthew, Natalie, and Suzanne, a few exchange students at a certain piazza in Cagliari so we could all walk to one Christine’s host house to eat lunch and meet her family.  I waited for the most convenient bus by my house for nearly 20 minutes, but it never came and I never saw one passing in the other direction.  So I walked the 15 minutes to the other side of my house to catch the less convenient bus.  I had been waiting for 15 minutes when my host family drove up, on their way to Nonno and Nonna’s for lunch.  They asked me if all was well and I said I was just waiting for my bus.  It was a rather awkward meeting, because I could tell they were worried.  They left, and I waited for about 10 more minutes at the stop.  I was about to turn and walk towards the meeting place (a 45 minute walk more or less) when the bus finally arrived.  I rode that bus and got off to catch another.  I waited for that bus for nearly 10 minutes.  I usually don’t have to wait even that long for a bus, but maybe I have just had good luck with buses before this.  I finally arrived at the meeting place, an hour later than planned.  I apologized many times and we began to walk towards the house.  We finally arrived, much later than planned, and again I apologized many times this time in Italian to her host family.  We met her host parents, her host grandma, and we talked with her sister and her friend who we had already met.  We were given a tour of the house, which was extremely nice.  Christine’s room is a really cool shed (shed is such a negative term for what this is) on the roof! 
            Later, we were served a dinner of malloreddus (a dish of small grooved pasta with tomato and meat sauce; I recommend that you look it up, because I don't have any pictures), roasted lamb, salad, 3 types of cheeses, assorted fruit, finishing with tiramisù, 2 types of cakes including a type of raisin cake, and of course caffè.

From left to right around the table: Christine, Chiara (Christine's host sister), Natalie, Michela (Chiara's friend), Christine's host mom, Christine's host grandma, Me, Matthew, Christine's host dad


These pictures of this meal courtesy of my exchange student friends!
Variety of cheeses

bread served to us at lunch
Tiramisù
 
While we ate, the host grandma seemed to grow fond of Natalie and me.  Once, she grabbed my hands and said to me, “…che bel ragazzo!” which means “…what a handsome/great boy!” along with other stuff I couldn’t understand after I helped hand a tray maybe a foot to the host mom that she had been trying to hand to her herself.  Also, she called Natalie “dolce”, “carina”, and “simpatico”, which mean sweet, pretty, and nice.  Over the afternoon, Christine’s host grandma laughed at Matthew for saying “Chicago” in an Italian accent because apparently it sounds exactly like an Italian phrase pertaining to taking a shit (cagare is a vulgar verb meaning to crap or shit), she told me to be aware of the girls, she told Natalie to be aware of the boys, she told both me and Natalie to be aware of the bad people in the world, and she said that Natalie looks Asian (which was actually a joke between all of us before she said it, which made it all the more funny).     

Me and Christine's host grandma!
 
We said goodbye, got a few pictures with Christine’s host grandma.  After a few choice pieces of advice from Christine’s host grandma to me and Natalie, we left and were on our way to San Gavino!
            We had planned to leave after lunch for San Gavino, the village where Matthew is staying about an hour away from Cagliari.  However, we missed the last train, so is host dad picked us up.  We arrived in San Gavino, a town of nearly 9,000 people (according to Wikipedia) but I saw maybe 10 people in all.  We walked around later that night, seeing the small piazzas, churches, and stores.  We went back to Matthew’s host dad’s house, and we had a night of music, eating, picture sharing, and movies.  It was kind of like a self-organized exchange student camp. 
            The next day, early afternoon, we left for the train station to catch out train back.  We bought our tickets, said goodbye to Matthew, boarded the train, and left.  We saw a few strange people along our journey home.  One man heard us speak English and as he walked by said “OK! English!”  Another man ran through our car at a stop, and we suspect that he wanted to get off without being caught without a ticket.  Regardless of the strange encounters, the trip was fun. It was only my second train ride.  It was beautiful watching the countryside as we headed for the city.             

On Sunday the 30th of October, a few weeks before all of the previously mentioned stuff happened, I had gotten out of the shower and had just dressed when I got an email from my parents saying that they had to put down our Border Collie mix JoJo.  She was over 14 years old, but she seemed perfectly healthy when I left home.  It came as quite a shock for me, and needless to say I was and am very affected by it.  Apparently she had a tumor that was infected and getting worse, so my parents had to put her down on Friday the 28th of October.  She lived a great and long life, but I really regret not having been home, regardless of the fact that I am having such a great time here.  I think it will take a very long time for it to sink in for me, especially because I’m not there at home.  My family has had her since I was 5 years old, so I don’t remember not having her.  I grew up with her.  She was a part of the family.  I’ll miss you JoJo.



No comments:

Post a Comment